[TIP] Beginner Resources

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Mon Mar 5 16:50:32 PST 2007

--- Nate Lowrie <solodex2151 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, let me start off and say congrats for becoming a TDD convert.
> Next, your first order of business is NOT to try to add tests to your
> existing code.  I say that because this is one of the hardest things
> to do and as a beginner you will probably frustrate yourself to no
> end
> (I am currently and I have done several TDD projects).

I disagree with this approach. I found that writing unit tests for code
that I didn't even write (Titus did) was an excellent way for me to
learn the code. It also had the fortunate side-effect of shoring up our
test coverage.

I'd say go ahead and write tests for your code. You'll be frustrated,
no doubt about it, until you get the hang of it. But it will be a
worthwhile exercise.

> I would strongly recommend reading everything on
> http://xunitpatterns.com/  It goes into in depth detail on the
> different aspects of TDD, test smell, code smells, refactoring, etc.

That site can be overwhelming to a newcomer. It goes into way too much
detail and hairsplitting in many cases.

Grig