[TIP] Functional Testing of Desktop Applications

Mark Mc Mahon mark.m.mcmahon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:49:00 PST 2007

Hi,

On 3/4/07, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> If I was to implement a functional test framework for wxPython I would
> be sorely tempted to go down a similar route...
>
> The automation tools pointed to so far (pywinauto, pyAA) might save
> 're-inventing the wheel' though.
>
> Fuzzyman
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml

If you are interested in pywinauto - I would be happy to help. The
idea behind pywinauto was to make automation easy, and not so much a
concentration on Testing (I feel that testing is not something that
needs to be built into the automation).

I have been feeling (but have not done anything about it) to try to
separate out the basic automation and control information retrieval
part (more mature) from the more advanced automation features (waiting
on windows, making actions very easy to create) as that part is more
immature.

Anyway - not planning any major changes so don't be put off from
looking at it :-).

I had looked at pyAA previously and there ARE places that using the AA
methods are better then just trying to figure it out - but
unfortunately they don't seem to solve all problems (for example MS
office seems to be implemented in a way that nothing can read!)

Mark