[TIP] Behavior Driven Development (was TDD)

Nate Lowrie solodex2151 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:14:04 PST 2007

Ok, I guess that I am a little confused here.  I have always thought
that behavior driven development was using Mocks and behavior
verification in place of state verification.

I understand where you are coming from with the outside-in concept.  I
need to do more of that myself.  However, I thought that outside-in
development was simply writing acceptance tests first, and the working
your way down to integration and unit test levels.  While this has
merit, I think that it tends to introduce much more refactoring than
writing unit tests first especially if same developers aren't familiar
with things like layered architecture and dependency injection.

TDD and BDD are closely coupled with design patterns and I find that
few developers know of or exercise these patterns.  I have seen new
developers try to do TDD and fail precisely because in order to write
efficient unit tests you are required to exercise good design and
design patterns.  I don't think that the fact they are writing unit
tests before integration tests has much to do with it other than that
unit test require you to have a mental layout of the architecture in
mind already.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Nate L.