[TIP] Functional Testing of Desktop Applications

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Mar 4 16:01:35 PST 2007

Grig Gheorghiu wrote:
> --- Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> [snip..]
> Well, people have different names for different types of tests. What
> you call functional tests, other people call system/integration tests.
>
> The way I see it, it's not the names that are important, but the
> different types of testing that need to be done at different levels:
>
> * at the unit level (unit testing)
> * at the application logic level below the GUI (functional, or
> integration, however you want to call it; the idea is that you exercise
> a path through several units of your code)
> * at the GUI level.

Right.

At Resolver we have good test coverage at the GUI level (what we call
Functional Tests).

We have excellent 'unit test' coverage, but in fact they are a sporadic
mixture of the next two levels down.

This leads us into a bit of a debate about how much to mock out in our
unit tests. The most extreme testing doctrine says that you should mock
out *all* your dependencies when testing a unit - even dependencies
within the same object (if you are testing method 'a' and it contains a
call to function or method 'b' you should mock 'b').

When you have a short function that has several dependencies this can
make writing the tests a real chore. It *also* means that you don't
catch errors at a higher level - where you mock you test adequately what
you *think* the wiring between your units is doing, but your mental
model may be just as buggy as your code.

I'd be reluctant to add an *extra* level of testing (we already have a
three-to-one ratio between test and production code). We're moving
towards a less extreme mocking policy I think though, making sure we
always have some higher level tests that exercise units together and not
just in isolation.

Fuzzyman