[TIP] Test Driven Development

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Mar 4 13:49:05 PST 2007

Michał Kwiatkowski wrote:
> On 3/3/07, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> I'm interested in how many people on this list are doing test driven
>> development ?
>
> I tend to use TDD with doctests and TED (mentioned by Grig) with
> unittest. For some reason doctest is so easy to set up that I can
> define a behaviour and API for a function/method without thinking
> about it.
Right.

I'd never even considered doctests for TDD.

As others have said though, doctests tend to get kind of ugly when you
do exception handling.

They also seem perfectly designed for copying and pasting an interactive
session *after* the code is implemented. I always resent typing '>>>'. :-)

> Unittests usually require some mock-shmock-setup-ing, so I
> usually implement the function, test it manually and write automated
> test for it later (or never :( ). In some sense doctest encourages me
> to do the right thing, so it is probably better tool than unittest (of
> course YMMV).
Ok.

Unittest feels right to me, but you have to put some work in to keep
your tests readable.

> I try to unit test most of the code and write functional tests when I
> really need them (i.e. things which unit tests won't catch).
We have a different philosophy with functional tests. Functional tests
are for high level 'test the features'.

Our unit tests should cover everything that the functional tests do and
more. If a functional test exposes a bug that isn't covered by unit
tests, then we slap ourselves and write a unit test quickly. Happens a
lot though. :-)

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml