[TIP] Functional Testing of Desktop Applications

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Mar 4 07:30:33 PST 2007

Lawrence Oluyede wrote:
>> Do others on this list do functional testing for desktop applications,
>> and what frameworks do you use ?
>
> It's not exactly a test framework but an automation tool and I never
> used by myself but I was nicely impressed when I attended the talk
> about pywinauto held by Mark McMahon in last year's EuroPython.
>
> Maybe it can help you guys automate the testing of user interfaces:
> http://pywinauto.pbwiki.com/

Thanks Lawrence.

For our IronPython project we have built our own test framework (for
both unit and functional tests) on top of unittest.

I'm looking to create a desktop application of my own (in a few months
once this book is finally done with) and will *probably* use wxPython.

I'm interested in what other Python programmers are using to
functionally test desktop applications - particularly wxPython apps
(although QT is pretty nice and worth considering).

Pywinauto looks very interesting - hmmm... Their demo on the homepage
looks good.

Thanks

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml