[TIP] Tools for Windows GUI testing ?

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 04:00:01 PDT 2007

What GUI framework does your messaging application use?  This will
impact how accessible it is from the various GUI automation tools.

You may want to take a look at pyAA if you haven't already, which is a
Python wrapper around Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA):

  http://www.cs.unc.edu/~parente/tech/tr09.shtml

Also do a Google search for "Microsoft Active Accessibility SDK",
which will get you a few tools like the Accessible Explorer; these
will let you easily see how well your application currently supports
AA.

A nice side benefit of using MSAA for GUI automation--and an incentive
for making your application support MSAA if it doesn't already--is
that it also guarantees that your application will be usable by
accessibility aids such as screen readers.

Hope this helps.

- Atul