[TIP] HTTP servers testing

Sylvain Hellegouarch sh at defuze.org
Wed Feb 28 12:07:51 PST 2007

Grig Gheorghiu wrote:
> --- Sylvain Hellegouarch <sh at defuze.org> wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere (can't recall where though) that during PyCon people
>> at
>> the Web panel suggested that HTTP testing should be standardized
>> among
>> existing HTTP server implementations so that Python could strengthen
>> its
>> positioning in that field in regards to existing references (Apache
>> comes to mind of course).
>>
>> Has it been discussed in more depth?
>
> Not as far as I know. Not sure what you mean by standardization when it
> comes to HTTP testing. Maybe you're thinking about WSGI? In this case,
> Titus has a WSGI-intercept module that makes it very easy to test a
> WSGI-enabled Web application without actually starting an HTTP server,
> but instead running it in-process.
>
> http://darcs.idyll.org/~t/projects/wsgi_intercept/README.html
>
> Grig

By standardization I think I meant an external set of common test
configuration.

Currently when people test against different framework and their
respective deployment method over an HTTP server (sometimes as a
built-in like CherryPy or Pylons, other times via mod_python and Apache
for Django (if I'm not mistaken)).

The problem to me is that:

1. You cannot expect one person to know how to setup each framework in
the most efficient way for different use cases (static content serving
or more complex applications pulling data from a database) and it is
hard to monitor how a test is really setup.
2. We can't currently reproduce any of the test someone does in a
systematic fashion.