[TIP] HTTP servers testing

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Wed Feb 28 12:05:03 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:57:37AM -0800, Grig Gheorghiu wrote:
-> --- Sylvain Hellegouarch <sh at defuze.org> wrote:
->
-> > I read somewhere (can't recall where though) that during PyCon people
-> > at
-> > the Web panel suggested that HTTP testing should be standardized
-> > among
-> > existing HTTP server implementations so that Python could strengthen
-> > its
-> > positioning in that field in regards to existing references (Apache
-> > comes to mind of course).
-> >
-> > Has it been discussed in more depth?
->
-> Not as far as I know. Not sure what you mean by standardization when it
-> comes to HTTP testing. Maybe you're thinking about WSGI? In this case,
-> Titus has a WSGI-intercept module that makes it very easy to test a
-> WSGI-enabled Web application without actually starting an HTTP server,
-> but instead running it in-process.
->
-> http://darcs.idyll.org/~t/projects/wsgi_intercept/README.html

Or, as I now explain it, "wsgi_intercept lets Python Web testing
packages talk directly to a WSGI app without running a server"...

I'll post some examples soon.

I think it would be nice to build a "Web fixtures" package (perhaps
divorced from twill?) that would set up and run servers in a "standard"
way.  Then we could try to contribute this back to the individual
projects & hope for incorporation.

Standardizing fixtures == good, right??