[TIP] Building a unittest.TestCase from a doctest

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue Dec 18 10:48:31 PST 2007

-> >In my situation, I would like to load doctests from
-> >/over/there/module.py into a file 'test.py' that is loaded with other
-> >unittest.TestCases, and have the doctest run together with the other
-> >test cases.
->
-> A module may contain multiple tests.  I don't understand why you would
-> want a single test case?  This would be like taking any test suite and
-> saying you want to treat it as a single test case. I must be
-> misunderstanding you.

Hi, Jim,

no, you understand me right.

My real goal is to get the tests to *run* under the aegis of a different
module; I'm not really all that exercised about *how*.

I spent 15 minutes last night trying to understand unittest well enough
to import the various test cases in a doctest suite into a unittest, but
no joy ;(.  I just don't understand the unittest magic very well, I'm
afraid.  While I understand the distinction between a TestCase and a
TestSuite, I can't understand why my unittest.TestCases run multiple
tests!

(There's a reason I use nose: I've never understood unittest.)

cheers,