[TIP] Interface vs Implementation Testing

Raphael Marvie raphael.marvie at lifl.fr
Wed Apr 18 04:17:18 PDT 2007

I do agree on the test at the functional level, however when I do
TDD, I sometime find that tests help me to write the proper
implementation (cf your remark on telling where the tests fails). So,
I used to write some implementation specific tests that I remove from
my test suite (while keeping the test code in my test modules) to
keep only interface-based ones once the code is written properly (but
I find it strange not to keep all the tests running all the time).

I do agree for all the other remarks
  - yet it is a web app written using a scrum / xp path, and we go
function by function
  - we want functional test for the moment, but we also use mock as
much s we can,
  - my tests may not be the best ones :-) [they sounds ok, the
implementation works, but they do not help me all the time to write
the implementation]

Michal said: """Your testing method should not depend on a language,
but on behaviour
you want from your program. What language it is written in is just a
detail. ;)"""

I do agree for testing method but not testing means, in that we do
not have the same artefacts in each language: a.1 was different from
a.2 in that it used doctest instead of unittest for interface-based
tests.

Thanks,

r.

On Apr 17, 2007, at 8:19 PM, Kumar McMillan wrote:

> I'm with Michal in that the interface test ensures that your
> implementation works (as long as you write the interface test well).
>
> Here is a major problem with testing implementation: when the
> implementation changes your tests will break.  Broken tests should
> indicate the failure of a component, but in this case it would not.
> You might even say to someone else on your team: "The tests are broken
> but it still works, pay not attention."  In fact, you may even hold
> off on updating your tests until you "get around to it" since you
> kinda know things still work.  You see where I'm going with that.  I
> tell developers on my team to **only** test interfaces and **never**
> test implementation and will slap wrists if I have to :)
[snip]