[socal-piggies] SoCal Python in February and March

Daniel Greenfeld pydanny at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:16:27 PST 2013

Hello all,

MANY THANKS TO GRIG
I want to thank Grig Gheorghiu for his years of dedication and hard work
maintaining this group. He's an amazing engineer, educator, and leader and
has been an incredible asset to the Python community. His was the first
tutorial I ever attended at PyCon, and I still use his lessons five years
later. If you meet Grig, buy him a drink!

SCHEDULING
A number of people have been asking me about the next two months. Between
SCALE 11X and PyCon US 2013, large blocks of the month are now blocked out,
but people still want local meetups! In February we'll meet on the 21st
(right before SCALE 11X) and in March we'll tentatively meet on the 28th
(right after PyCon US). Talks and location are forthcoming.

In addition, how would people feel about a second SoCal Python night every
month? My thought is starting in April we could have a hack-night where
people would gather in one place for pizza and the chance to code together.
You could bring your favorite project, open source or not, and hack
together with friends.

TOPICS
We're looking for speakers for both February and March. It would be great
to see talks on Python topics such as iterators, generators, decorators,
metaprogramming, Twisted, big data, SQL Alchemy, logging, and of course,
web frameworks such as Django, Flask, and Tornado. If you know something
awesome, share it with the group! We prefer 30-40 minute talks, with Q&A
sessions at the end.

VENUE
A huge number of people have suggested that SoCal Python rotate between
general locations - migrating from Downtown to Santa Monica to Hollywood to
Marina Del Ray. As someone coming from the Valley, I agree but we'll need
to find venues willing to host 50-100 people.

SCALE 11X
Next month is the 11th annual Southern California Linux Exposition (
http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale11x). It's an awesome local event that
is very affordable. We run the Python booth there and will be looking for
volunteers. What that means is signing up for a period where you hang
around the table for a few hours and talk with people interested in Python.
It's a ton of fun and I'll have a sign-up form within a day or two.

PYCON US 2013
In March is PyCon (https://us.pycon.org/2013/). It's the largest Python
conference in the world. There are amazing tutorials, talks, and sprints.
If you plan to go, please register now because it sells out!

SHAMELESS PLUG
I co-wrote wrote a book on Django! It's called Two Scoops of Django: Best
Practices for Django 1.5, and you can buy it right now in e-book (PDF) form
on the website: https://django.2scoops.org.

Kind regards,

--
'Knowledge is Power'