[socal-piggies] We need more PyCon US 2013 submissions!

Daniel Greenfeld pydanny at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 09:41:23 PDT 2012

Jathan,

As a PyCon reviewer I can't talk about specific reviews. However...

I simply am not making it up that earlier submissions tend to do
better in the system. You haven't fighting the reviewers, you've been
getting feedback. Feedback in this particular process is often a
really good sign that the reviewers feel like your talk is worth some
attention. Later talks don't get this attention because we're swamped
by hundreds of them.

So stay positive!

Danny

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Jathan McCollum <jathan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Brian! That's a huge relief! Hope is restored! :)
>

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Jathan McCollum <jathan at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I wish I knew this before I submitted two proposals I've been fighting
>> > hard
>> > with the reviewers with for the last 2 months.
>> >
>> > It's down to the 11th hour and I'm afraid neither of them will be
>> > accepted.
>> > :(
>>
>> There's still a while until they're actually up for accept/reject.
>> What you've been experiencing is the result of our online reviews. All
>> proposals are visible on the PyCon website for the review team, and we
>> just click through the list, check out a proposal, then vote
>> +1/+0/-0/-1 and/or leave a comment for the proposer.
>>
>> That's sort of like pre-reviewing, though. We put proposals up for
>> review in IRC meetings, which officially start next week, where
>> usually 10+ reviewers evaluate your proposal (by itself, no comparison
>> to others) in sort of a round-table discussion. We use those online
>> reviews to get a feel for what people are thinking and to allow voices
>> to be heard if they don't make the meeting, then we debate for a
>> while, then the actual voting on accept/reject occurs.
>>
>> However, getting voted for acceptance at that stage isn't the end.
>> What we end up doing is take ~500 proposals and whittle that down to
>> say 250, then we have a second round where we compare against others.
>> If we get 4 proposals on CoolFramework, we may pit them against each
>> other and take one or two, with the eventual goal of picking the 95
>> talks that make up the schedule.
>>
>> So, it's good that you've submitted early, have gotten feedback from
>> reviewers, and have been working with them. You put yourself in a much
>> better situation than a last-minute submitter like myself :) Best of
>> luck!

> --
> Jathan.
> --