[socal-piggies] AOL's Userplane team is hiring a front-end web developer in Santa Monica!

Jathan McCollum jathan at gmail.com
Thu May 31 23:24:44 PDT 2012

Hey all-

My apologies for any confusion. I should have disclaimed from the get-go. I
beat the Python bat pretty heavily on the Userplane team and should have
stated that as well.

Lesson learned!

The fact is this role presents an opportunity for drastic influence on the
future of the architecture of their development platform and back-end
technologies. The role is a "front-end engineer" but as many of you
probably know, you can't have one without the other. Their legacy
infrastructure is mostly comprised of Java and FlashCom, and is something
they desparately want to move away from.

Quite frankly the door is wide open for what is going to drive the scale
and innovation of their next-gen platform. To me this is a ripe opportunity
to say, "well how about Python?"

I was thinking that with the breadth of expertise both in web programming
and server-side architecture of our community, that this presents a pretty
cool opening for change.

I am appreciative of the respect I have earned amongst you all, and thank
you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. This is only job posting I've
ever made here, and I will certainly make a better effort on highlighting
why I thought it was relevant in the first place the next time!

Much respect,

jathan.

Jathan.