[socal-piggies] Next meeting: Wed. Feb 22 @ spire.io offices

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 19:01:38 PST 2012

A quick update about the agenda. Turns out we have no less than 3 presentations:

1) Craig Kairsterns from Heroku. Here's the abstract of his talk:

"In recent years there's been rapid growth in application development
area. This is in large part due to trends such as better tools to
manage code and dependencies, external services to aid you, and due to
the elasticity of the cloud. At Heroku we have a fortunate experience
to interact with thousands of application developers and see their
patterns and trends as well as help influence these. We will walk
through some of the recent trends and emerging trends for the future
in application development. These trends will make it even easier to
scale up without significant overhead, further enable continuous
deployment, and improve the ease to onboard other developers into a
development team. Many of these current and emerging best practices
will be highlighted on Heroku with live demos, but broadly apply
outside the Heroku platform."

2) Joshua Timberman from Opscode (makers of Chef):

Title: Application Deployment is System State

Abstract:

Infrastructure as code is a philosophy of managing systems through
declarative, idempotent resources whereby each node takes care of
itself in order to do its job. It encompasses configuration management
and system integration, and aims to reduce the friction of managing
scalable distributed systems that run the business. At Opscode, we
believe in making application deployment a part of the whole system
policy maintained by our configuration management system, Chef. This
talk will discuss some of the basics of Chef and discuss some of the
strategies for managing application deployment as part of system state
for an app server to fulfill its job per policy.

3) Daniel Stewart

Title:  Where there's where

Textual analysis of user generated input using the Google Places API.

Hope to see you there!

Grig