[socal-piggies] Next meeting - Tue Dec. 11th at Q Connects offices

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:43:29 PST 2012

Hello again,

The good news is that we have 2 speakers lined up for the meeting.
There is no bad news.

So....here's the agenda:

Randall Degges: "Introduction to OpenCNAM" (https://www.opencnam.com)

OpenCNAME is a Python Caller ID system that is both easier to use than
the existing standard and much more featured (sophisticated telephony,
tons of server stuff, Flask, and Django) .

Justin Hampton: "The Role and Representation of Python in the Online
Education Boom"

Python has come a long way since its inception twenty-two years ago.
Not only has it become entrenched in the gaming, search and web
application spaces, but it has also taken root as the lingua franca of
the booming MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) trend in education. It
is used as the basis for Computer Science introduction classes offered
by the university-oriented curricula of Coursera and EDX, and
integrated as a teaching technique into the non-programming course
offerings of the Google-affiliated for-profit startup Udacity. Is this
a blessing or a curse to the Python community? And more importantly,
what's in it for you? In this talk, Justin will explore the challenges
and promise of these developments and how they can be integrated into
the established models Python programmers already use for their
ongoing education.

Note: this talk will be conducted similar to a class (albeit a more
traditional one, where we'll determine a hypothetical customized class
curricula. So come prepared to share your insights, how you learned
Python and what you'd want from a course, but don't worry - in this
class, there are no wrong answers, but a bite-sized candy for all the
right ones.