[socal-piggies] Next meeting: Thu. May 17th at Evite

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:04:43 PDT 2012

Hello everybody,

We skipped our meeting in April, but we will have one in May. It will
happen at Evite in West Hollywood on Thu. May 17th, from 7 PM to 9:30
PM. We already have 2 talks lined up.

Agenda:

1) Evan Cofsky: "Amazonian Fabric" -- How Memrise builds and scales
Ubuntu EC2 instances using boto and Fabric

2) Danny Greenfeld and Audrey Roy: "Round Pegs and Square Holes:
Django and MongoDB"

The common approach for getting MongoDB to work with Django has been
to replace Django ORM based pieces with MongoDB based alternatives.
This is usually accomplished by forcing MongoDB to behave like a
relational database and is done with extremely sophisticated code. The
result is something that doesn’t behave quite as nicely as a
relational database, and negates many of the advantages MongoDB (and
other NoSQL databases) possess, hence the title of this talk. This
talk will not only go over the existing heroic but flawed approaches,
but will also propose a simpler, more direct path for getting Django
to play well with MongoDB. Simpler is important, because it makes
possible the creation of a developer-accepted bridge between MongoDB
powered efforts and the hundreds of Django ORM powered efforts
available on Django Packages.

The exact address for Evite is 8800 Sunset Blvd. West Hollywood, CA
90069. Enter the building from Palm Ave. and tell the parking
attendant you are here for the Python meeting (parking is free). Then
go to the lobby and ask the security guard for the screening room (the
door to the room might also be open at that time).

Please let me know if you are planning to attend, so we know how much
pizza to order. Pizza and drinks will be sponsored by Evite.