[socal-piggies] Controlling Windows 7/NTFS Server file permissions & System Services using pywin32??

tangle1 at mindspring.com tangle1 at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 14 15:07:03 PDT 2011

Hello Pythonists,

Does anyone have expertise using pywin32 to manage Windows 7/NTFS Server file/folder permissions, System Services??
ie. pywin32 (or C++ win32) libraries (win32api, win32security, ...)

and/or it's underpinnings: ACL and Icacls

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa374872(v=vs.85).aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349799(WS.10).aspx

Our technical staff (Linux-centric python vfx TDs) could use mentoring and I would obtain approval for short-term/part-time consultant.

I myself am immersed in experimentation. I implemented example from Tim Golden's site:

http://timgolden.me.uk/python/win32_how_do_i/add-security-to-a-file.html

It seems that making file read-only blocks changes but not deletions. I'm digging in but it would be awesome to receive help from someone whose been-there done-that.

Thanks !!!

Suzanne Berger, Pipeline TD
The Graphic Film Company

sberger at thegraphicfilmcompany.com