[socal-piggies] Email Disclaimers (was: Re: Python job opportunity)

Charles Esterbrook contact at charles-esterbrook.com
Tue Jun 21 18:28:57 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Michael Chean <michael_chean at msn.com> wrote:

> DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for
> the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential,
> privileged and/or attorney/client privileged material. If you have received
> this e-mail in error, then please note that any reviewed retransmission,
> copying, distribution or other use of the e-mail is prohibited. If you are
> not an intended recipient, please delete the material from any computer that
> may have it. Thank you for your cooperation. The contents of an attachment
> to this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your
> computer system. We cannot accept liability for any damage you may sustain
> as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks
> before opening any attachment. Should you have any questions regarding this
> email or its substance, please call BCS Systems at (818)238-9759.

Have people using these types of disclaimers enjoyed any benefits?

Have people without such disclaimers suffered problems that a
disclaimer would have protected them from?

I poked around the web and found some niche cases, like lawyers
asserting that "my sending you this message does not make me your
lawyer" that seemed arguable. But most disclaimers seem pointless and
distracting.

Thoughts?

--
Charles Esterbrook