[socal-piggies] Python job opportunity at Rackspace Cloud -- remote work available

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Wed May 26 14:28:02 PDT 2010

Just got this posting from Cyndi Klein at Rackspace:

=====================

Senior Python Developer

The Rackspace Cloud

Rackspace Hosting

http://www.rackspace.com/index.php

http://www.rackertalent.com/

Company Headquarters: San Antonio, Texas

Job Location: Anywhere - Remote Work Available

Rackspace, a world leader in hosting delivers enterprise-level managed
hosting, cloud hosting, and e-mail hosting services to businesses of
all types and sizes globally. Today we serve thousands of customers
from data centers around the world. Rackspace integrates the
industry's best technologies and practices for each customer's
specific needs delivering it as a service via the company's commitment
to Fanatical Support®. We serve as an extension of our customers' IT
departments enabling them to focus on their core business. Rackspace
was founded in 1998 and since then has had significant growth year
after year. There are now over 2,700 Rackers employed worldwide
dedicated to providing customers our premier hosting services.

We are solving some of the most pressing problems in our industry such
as how to scale the enormous demand for utility computing and how to
fit that within the traditional business model of a managed IT
offering. With cloud servers being the most basic building block for
services that Rackspace will offer, our ability to deliver on features
and scalability are paramount.

In addition to our primary goal of building our next generation cloud
offering, we are building all the necessary tools and utilities to
manage and sustain an ecosystem of users and developers of the
Rackspace Cloud Servers platform. CloudFiles, Drizzle, Cassandra and
other tools in development will be used.

We are looking for passionate advocates of technology. We're looking
for people who don't just use these these tools and services, but
people that write them. It is one thing to start a virtual machine on
a host, it is another to have the curiosity to read the source code
and figure out how it all works.

We are looking to balance the "been there, done that" with the "why
can't we do it that way?" mentality of thinking. The ability to
challenge assumptions and conventions is important.

Qualifications:

Strong desire to innovate and develop future technology

5-10 years experience designing and writing cutting edge software

Internet and operating system security fundamentals

Extensive knowledge designing massively scalable systems

Experience working in diverse heterogeneous environment and moving
quickly from one technology to another

Linux operating system/application development desirable

Proven problem solving ability

Programming in Python, C , Ruby, or Java

Experience with virtualization, preferably on multiple hypervisors

BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience (PhD a plus)

Excellent written and verbal skills

Rackspace Hosting is an Equal Opportunity Employer

The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature
and level of work performed by employees in this classification.  It
is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required
of the employee assigned to this job.

Contact: Cyndi Klein, Technical Recruiter (cyndi.klein at rackspace.com)

Apply Here: https://rackspace.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_details.php?reqid=4353