[socal-piggies] UCLA PyCamp

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue May 11 15:37:30 PDT 2010

In June there will be a Python training called PyCamp at UCLA. I am the
instructor for PyCamp. PyCamp is very much about expanding the Python
community, particularly to academics who need some sort of handy dandy
computational scripting environment.

Because PyCamp is very much about expanding the Python community, part
of PyCamp is acculturating Pycamp participants to things like user
groups. Pycamp was actually created by a Python user group in the first
place and is being sponsored at UCLA in part by the LA Plone Users Group.

On Wednesday June 16 of PyCamp, there will be an after-class party
(probably around 6pm) at a yet to be selected pub near the PyCamp
classroom (Moore Hall 3027, Graduate School of Education, UCLA South
Campus). There will be about 40 PyCampers there. I would like it very
much if some (or many) SoCal Piggies would like to come to this party in
order to recruit PyCampers to your meetings and thereby integrate new
Python users into your local Python flavor. There will be free food and
libation at this party to make it even more worth your while.

I'll be working with the UCLA organizers to pick a place to have this
party and will let you know as soon as a place is agreed upon. (And if
you have any suggestions, maybe send them to me offlist). We are looking
for a place within walking distance of the classroom. So wherever we end
up may not be the top tavern on your list. But if will be the right
place for free food, booze, and excited new Pythonistas.

For your further information, the standard PyCamp blurb follows this
paragraph. I look forward to seeing you in June.

For beginners, this ultra-low-cost Python Boot Camp makes you productive
so you can get your work done quickly. PyCamp emphasizes the features
which make Python a simpler and more efficient language. Following along
with example Python PushUps™ speeds your learning process in a modern
high-tech classroom. Become a self-sufficient Python developer in just
five days at PyCamp! Conducted on the campus of UCLA, PyCamp comes with
your own copy of Wing Professional Python IDE.

The UCLA Department of Psychology and the UCLA Graduate School of
Education & Information Studies bring PyCamp to Los Angeles, June 14-18,
2010.

Register today at http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/pycamp-la-2010/

A three-day condensed version of PyCamp is also offered as part of the
Plone Symposium East 2010 at Pennsylvania State University, May 24-26, 2010:

http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/pycamp-psu-2010/

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530