[socal-piggies] Packaging Dippy

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat May 1 21:14:57 PDT 2010

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 09:10:53PM -0700, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> On 05/01/2010 06:53 PM, C. Titus Brown wrote:
>> On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 11:20:37AM -0700, jathan. wrote:
>>
>>> Setuptools or distutils are easiest, because they put the power of how the
>>> package is to be installed in the hands of the installer (egg, sdist, RPM,
>>> easy_install, etc). Setuptools is newer and has a few more little perks, but
>>> distutils will get the job done.
>>>
>>> Both also allow you to upload your package directly to PyPI as well, which
>>> is very convenient.
>>>
>>> Your best bet is to just copy the setup.py from another dist and see how
>>> they've done it.  Here's the setup.py from one of my small projects as a
>>> simple example:
>>>
>>> http://bitbucket.org/jathanism/cidrize/src/tip/setup.py
>>>
>> http://guide.python-distribute.org/
>
> This is a nice looking URL, but I was a bit disappointed to see that it
> doesn't appear to address packing into rpm's and deb's.
>
> I've created rpm's and an msi the hard way before, and done pypi via
> setup.py - but is there a python-specific (or for that matter, a generic
> tool that knows the python specifics anyway) tool that will do pypi and
> rpm's and deb's and msi's from the same package description data?

Yes, this will work for RPMs - see the 'bdist_rpm' command.  Not sure about
debian, doesn't seem to be in the python docs.  If you find something, can you
report back to me, if not the list?  This might be useful:

http://ghantoos.org/2008/10/19/creating-a-deb-package-from-a-python-setuppy/

Good catch on the omission.  I will mention it to Tarek.

thanks,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu