[socal-piggies] Job Opp: Linux System Administrator @ Geodelic in Santa Monica

Jathan McCollum jathan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:38:26 PDT 2010

Hello Piggies-

A good friend of mine is the Product Manager for Geodelic and they are
expanding.  He is in dire need of a mid-level system administrator with
programming skills (Python preferred) to maintain and operate their AWS
cloud architecture.

I am passing this along in hopes that the timing might be right for one of
you!  He's a great guy to work with!

To apply, go here:
http://geodelic.choosyapp.com/jobs/152

And tell 'em Jathan sent ya!!

Responsibilities:

The candidate will be responsible for the administration of the deployments
in our cloud infrastructure. This includes:

General administration of individual server instances in our multi-tiered
architecture.
Utilizing and building on our existing Ruby-based deployment tool set,
consisting of Opscode Chef and other 3rd party tools.
Upgrading live systems as new releases of code and data are available.
Working to improve the automation and auto-scaling characteristics of the
cloud environment.
Gather and analyze performance metrics to guarantee the stability of the
deployments and ensure the most effective use of cloud resources.

The Company:

Geodelic is a fast-paced, revenue generating, Santa Monica-based startup
that is creating an advanced platform for publishing and discovering
location based information on mobile devices. Geodelic has a great diverse
team of creative and experienced people, who have created world-class
companies, and is funded by top tier venture capital firms. Geodelic has a
casual and fun working environment, with a strong focus on rapid execution
around building the premier location-based platform in the industry that has
been adopted by some of the worlds leading brands and carriers.

Requirements:

At least 2 years experience with the installation, administration,
monitoring, and upgrading of live (24×7) Unix/Linux servers in a
multi-tiered environment.
At least 2 years experience with software development or deployment
scripting, ideally in dynamic languages (like Ruby or Python).
At least a BA/BS in a related field.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Able to perform tasks independently in a distributed work environment.

To Apply:

Provide a resume detailing the positions you have held and the months and
years of employment. Attach a cover letter explaining why this position is a
good fit for you.

Answer the following questions in your cover letter:
1. What are the risks involved in creating an SSH key without a passphrase?
2. When would you configure a web server to listen on a port other than 80?
3. What are some advantages or disadvantages of using Ruby (or Python) for
sysadmin tasks instead of Bash’s scripting language?
4. Are you eligible to work in the USA? If you have a visa, what type?

NOTE:
All positions are located at our office in Santa Monica, CA.
Must be willing to commute on occasion to Ventura, CA .
Geodelic does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies.
Please be prepared to provide samples to illustrate your relevant experience
upon request.
We are unable to respond individually to each person interested in our
company, or answer inquiries regarding the status of a particular resume. If
we are interested in talking to you further we will contact you. Please, no
phone calls or ‘drop-ins’ about this job.

--
Jathan.