[socal-piggies] Project collaboration proposal

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:43:45 PST 2010

I've looked at http://hurl.it/ lately as a tool to exercise Web
Service APIs via a browser interface. It's a pretty good tool, and you
can also install it locally, but...it's written in Ruby.

I think a great project for our group to collaborate on could be to
create something similar in Python, but with even more functionality.
For example, I couldn't find a way to specify the HTTP request body
for a POST request -- which is often needed when passing JSON data to
the Web service API. In general, this would be a very useful testing
and debugging tool. I've googled around to see if there's anything
like it in Python, but I found nothing. As a full disclosure, I
actually need a tool like this at Evite...so we'd have our first
customer right off the bat ;-)

What do you think? If we have even a few people willing to collaborate
on this, I think we can achieve one of our learning goals. We can
create a project on bitbucket.org for example, and learn mercurial too
in the process.

Let me know what you think.