[socal-piggies] License question

John Mark Schofield root at sudosu.net
Mon Jan 18 08:32:22 PST 2010

* Does it bother you if someone else incorporates it into a commercial
product? (If you're fine with that, use BSD/MIT license.)
* Does it bother you if someone makes changes without sharing the changes?
(If so, use GPL.)

* Regarding "Public Domain" -- In general, yes, someone could make changes
to your public domain code, copyright it, and release it as commercial
software, or do anything else with it. It's important to note, however, that
their copyright of the modified code does not prevent you from continuing to
use your original code. And, as the
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#PublicDomain page notes, if
you're thinking of releasing something Public Domain, you may as well
release it MIT/BSD licensed instead.

What are you releasing? Sometimes this makes a difference...

(The above vast oversimplifications brought to you by the Dept. of
Oversimplification.)

John

John Mark Schofield
root at sudosu.net