[socal-piggies] socal-piggies Digest, Vol 59, Issue 5: Python Training

Andrew Kou andrew.kou at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 17:08:14 PST 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm not so sure I'm fully interested in a Django class, but would probably
attend if there were one. I would rather learn the "Pythonic" way of coding
coming from another language and would be interested in how to do common
tasks (most likely already in Django). Common sys admin scripts would be
cool (e.g. from bash to python). Testing for instance is a great topic I
think. How to implement user accounts or authentication or even Implementing
Open ID/Facebook connect support for your website would probably be cool
too. Maybe it can be specific to the language itself (e.g. howto and common
uses for decorators/generators and how it is better than the "old" way of
doing the same thing)  Of course, we don't have to roll everything on our
own, rather use existing modules/projects to do so.

One possible solution, is to decide to work on a dummy project, build a new
web app or clone an existing web app but with heavy emphasis on code review
by the more "experienced" Python users. This way, we really have experience
working on Python. Maybe it'll become the open source project we want to
work on.

I feel day "trainings" are generally not very effective but of course those
are just my current thoughts. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

Thanks,

- Andrew Kou