[socal-piggies] New to the list: An introduction

jathan. jathan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:49:15 PST 2010

Hello SoCal Piggies!

My name is Jathan McCollum. I moved to LA almost 3 years ago from the
greater DC area to escape from the cold.

The people I work with are all still on the east coast, and I mostly
work from home, so my exposure to other highly technical people during
the week is limited.  Being relatively new to the area, I only have a
small group of techie friends, and sadly none of them are as technical
as me. I know it probably sounds weird, but after a while of not
having anyone to REALLY talk tech with, it starts getting pretty
boring.

So, I just got hair-brained idea the other day to search for a local
Python users' group and found the SoCal Piggies!

I have been working for AOL since 2000 as a security engineer and
heavily rely on Python for much of my tedious, repetitive work. I am
100% self-taught (no college), so I have been working hard at becoming
more professional and regimented in my coding style, especially when
it comes to documentation. I use Python almost exclusively for all of
my engineering projects at work, except for those few straggling
pieces of Perl code I wrote years ago that I'm still afraid to go back
and touch.

I have a lot of experience working in a large-scale environment with a
focus on consistency-checking, anomaly detection, and automation. I'm
looking forward to what this year brings and I hope that I will be
able to share and learn with you folks!

Cheers!

--
jathan.