[socal-piggies] USC OLPC Hackathon looking for pythoners

David Hodge dhodge at usc.edu
Sun Mar 30 18:08:08 PDT 2008

Hello Pythoners,

It was really nice to meet and talk with you all at the meeting on thursday.
David Richardson and I really appreciated all the advice you had to offer
about our upcoming OLPC Hackathon at USC.

In case you forgot or weren't there, USC ACM is putting on a week-long
competition in April where USC students will make OLPC programs with python.
(More at codeforacause.net)

As we mentioned we would love to have some help during our competition. I'm
sure that you all have jobs and busy lives, so we would like whatever help
you can provide when/if you will be available.

I've made a list of dates and times we are looking for extra assistance. So
if you'll be free please let me know.

4/12 12-6pm - Event kickoff by USC ACM, Introduction to python by Grig
Gheorghiu and first day of coding.

4/13 12-4pm - "Luncheon with the experts"  Gives students a chance to ask
questions they developed after their first night of coding. Students may
still want help developing project ideas.

*4/14-4/18 7-10pm* - Office hours where students can come test their code on
OLPC hardware and ask experts questions.

4/19 6-11PM - Extended office hours for last day of coding. Code will be due
at 11.

4/20  4-7PM - Presentations and Judging. If you'd like to come to see what
people have made or if you would like to judge, you are welcome to.

As I see it, the first two days are going to be crucial for the students so
I would put those as the highest priority. The office hours will also be
important, but everyone will have a better feel for the OLPC and python by
that point. So we'll only need one or two python experts at any given time
during office hours.

Andre Stechert  had mentioned that while some people might not be able to
come they might be able to come to a chat room in shifts. So if you think
you can do something like that, that works too.

Thank you for sticking with me through this long email and thank you for
your help. We'd absolutely love whatever help we can get.

Please feel free to shoot me an email at dhodge at usc dot edu or give me a
call at 415 717 0262 to work out details. I probably won't be able to get
back to you until Tuesday because I have midterms tomorrow.

thank you!

- David Hodge