[socal-piggies] Hiring a developer for a small web startup (Lingospot)

Steve Wedig stevewedig at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:01:41 PST 2008

Hi,

I haven't been able to make any recent meetings, so not sure if anyone
remembers me, but I gave the "PyJS: Python in Javascript" talk a while back.
Anyway, I'm now at a small web startup and we're hiring a developer. Send us
your resume if you're interested, otherwise I'd appreciate it if you can
forward this to anyone who might be. Thanks!

As for technologies we work with, we have a Javascript client that connects
to a Python/Django/MySQL backend, plus an in-house natural language search
engine.

- Steve

===== The Position =====

Lingospot is seeking a full-time software engineer/web developer to join our
small startup team, developing a new generation of web content discovery
technologies.

We're looking for the right person for the team, not just a list of skills.
Someone who will be innovative and energetic in a fast-paced startup
environment. As an early employee, your work and ideas will have a big
impact on the company. Compensation includes salary and equity. This
position offers fascinating challenges, long hours, and big opportunity.

===== About Lingospot =====

Lingospot, Inc. is an early stage web startup with funding, based in Los
Angeles.

We've created an in-text search service enabling online authors to
dynamically crosslink their content and increase reader engagement. Our
algorithms automatically identify and learn the most interesting topics on
any given web page, and dynamically connect readers to related content from
across the Web.  We use linguistic analysis and machine learning to rank the
topics, and present the best ones to the readers as links via Ajax. When
readers visit one of the links, our search technology finds the most
relevant content for that topic, such as related articles, news, images and
videos. Our goal is to simplify the discovery process by reducing the
distance between readers and interesting content. So our challenge is: Given
the webpage a person is reading, what related content will he or she find
most compelling?

Check out our demo:
lingospot.com/demo

Here are some recent press mentions:
http://socalbuzz.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/conversation-with-nikos-iatropoulis-ceo-lingospot/
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/semantic_web_what_is_the_killer_app.php
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/09/clipsyndicate-videos-now-on-truveo-bebo-magnify-and-lingospot/

The technical challenges we work on include:
- web search algorithms
- natural language processing
- machine learning
- high-performance web applications
- web-scale modeling and data management
- large-scale data mining
- interactive Javascript/Ajax

===== Required Knowledge =====

- Python (or Ruby/Perl for a strong candidate)
- Experience with web technologies

===== Desirable Knowledge =====

- Relational databases
- Web app frameworks (Django, Rails, Turbogears, ...)
- Scaling web applications
- Html, CSS
- Javascript, DHTML
- C/C++