[socal-piggies] another ubuntu story

Brandon King kingb at caltech.edu
Fri Oct 20 10:09:21 PDT 2006

Titus Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 04:47:00PM -0700, Brandon King wrote:
> -> No, it won't! This is what happen to people who use Ubuntu... I'm just
> -> waiting until tonight! And I fully am expecting/hoping you will jump in
> -> with your experience as well! 8-)
>
> I found the base Ubuntu install to be slow on my 2 ghz Dell box, whereas
> Debian 3.1 install was much faster.  Discuss.
>
> --titus

It probably has to do with Ubuntu loading so many drivers by default.
But then again, I see no speed difference on my 2.6 GHz P4 laptop
between Debain 3.1 (+Xorg +Sound +ATI drivers) compared to Kubuntu 6.04.

Where you comparing X on Debian vs X on Ubuntu or some other test of speed?

What kernel versions were running? Did you do and apt-get upgrade, which
should get the latest Ubuntu kernel?

Any one else have an experience with Ubuntu performance vs another distro?

I think Ubuntu is a good choice for those who are new to Linux or those
who don't want to deal with the hassles of getting hardware/software
configured. For more of a power Linux user, Ubuntu's main benefit is
ease of installation/configuration... but that's not the thing power
users really care about necessarily. For servers I still prefer Debian.

-Brandon