[socal-piggies] Proposed next meeting: Thursday July 13th at USC, 7 PM

Darius Bacon darius at accesscom.com
Fri Jul 14 10:23:51 PDT 2006

> Nice one, Mark :-) The only possible improvement I can think of for our
> meetings is in the catering aspect....we need some more imagination
> there :-)

Heh -- the local Common Lisp group was meeting at the Red Lion pub,
though it's been on hiatus lately.

As far as Python vs. Ruby, I've gone through the first few chapters in
the Ruby tutorial, and I'd say it's somewhat more expressive than
Python, but also more 'defaulty' and dangerous -- a table lookup t[x]
returns a default value for nonexistent x, and an undefined instance
variable @v has a null value, where Python raises an error in both
cases.

They're direct competitors and I'd try a more different language, like
Smalltalk, Lisp, Haskell, Mozart/Oz.

Darius