[socal-piggies] New Framework Fun

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Fri Jul 15 14:28:02 PDT 2005

--- Greg McClure <gmcclure at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey PyFolks,
>
> Sorry I've been so absent. I've wanted to attend meetings and make a
> presentation but my business has been growing rapidly, I've been
> absolutely swamped with work and I'm working on rolling out a new
> project, which has had its own fits and starts. It's been a crazy
> time.
>
> In other news, I just saw a new Python (yes, yet another) framework
> announced on the Ruby on Rails list. Right now there's very little
> documentation, but I think it's aiming to be a Rails challenger. The
> home page lists its components: an ORM, URL dispatcher, template
> system, cache system and automatic admin interface.
>
> Yay.
>
> Like I said, I haven't even looked over the site, but I play jazz
> guitar and the fact that the framework is named "Django" makes my
> heart warm a little. Also, the home page appears to be flawlessly
> rendered, standards-compliant XHTML. Are these two characteristics
> important in a Web framework? No. Or ... are ... they ... ?
>
> Anyway, check it out. I've downloaded and commenced futzing. In the
> meantime I wish everyone a happy July 15, and I encourage everyone to
> watch the Battlestar Galactica Season 2 premiere tonight because,
> let's face it, even if you dislike the show, Tricia Helfer and Grace
> Park rock. Shamelessly chauvinistic? Yes, but I can't help it, I'm
> just flawed that way.
>
> All the best,
> Greg

Greg -- good to hear from you! Thanks for the tip on Django. I take it
you'll present the framework at one of our next meetings? :-) It does
look promising, and I like what the guy did on chicagocrime.org, which
is based on an early version of Django if I understand correctly.

All the best to you and good luck with your projects.