[socal-piggies] Introduction

Brian Luft brian at tablevision.net
Thu Feb 17 16:43:49 PST 2005

I'm still looking forward getting paid for coding Python.  I've used it at
work before, mostly just for automating tests, moving binaries around,
testing COM objects, etc.  I'm pretty much a (*gasp*) Microsoft guy - well,
all of my professional development has been Win32 or .NET.  To that end I'm
very curious to see how IronPython progresses.  The thought of the ease of
use of Python with the cohesiveness of the .NET framework is almost a
nirvana IMHO.
I'm just really a tech junkie and Python was one of the things I tried out
and stuck with.  I did some work on the early versions of PyOSG - Python
bindings for the OpenSceneGraph project.  I've also enjoyed playing around
with scripting Blender3D.  I did once use Python + wxPython to prototype a
file sharing application for a contract I did.  I would have kept it in
Python but the guy wanted the application download to be as small as
possible and bundling Python interpreter + wxPython binaries together (~3MB)
wasn't going to cut it.

So I'm still waiting for that elusive opportunity to come up.  It's
unfortunate that Python still seems suffer from a little bit of red-headed
stepchild syndrome in the corporate world and it's too bad that there
doesn't seem to be a compelling Web framework yet.  If anyone has any leads
to Python jobs I'd love to hear about them...

3/8 works better for me.