[pygr-notify] Issue 15 in pygr: patch: correctly identify user's MySQL config file on Windows

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Fri Feb 20 19:51:07 PST 2009

Comment #3 on issue 15 by istvan.albert: patch: correctly identify user's
MySQL config file on Windows
http://code.google.com/p/pygr/issues/detail?id=15

I think this patch is not good and I think the original mode of operation is
suboptimal as well.

It would be much simpler if, for running test, one would be required to
place a copy
of the my.cnf file in the test directory and the system would read that. I
find it
very troubling that just by downloading pygr and running the tests the
system will
start hammering away on a database without making the user aware of this.
At the same
time it makes it impossible to set up a test database for testing, and one
for work,
as the approach will use whatever is activated.

As for the patch itself

1. first there is a lot of code duplication in there, those could be
consolidated
into a single loop over names
2. moreover it does not deal with the case when mysqldb is installed and
the test is
triggered but the config file is not actually present, the conditional will
just fall
off the end leaving configFile=None