[pygr-notify] Issue 37 in pygr: run XMLRPC server in a separate thread by default

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Feb 17 11:30:53 PST 2009

Comment #1 on issue 37 by marecki: run XMLRPC server in a separate thread
by default
http://code.google.com/p/pygr/issues/detail?id=37

Attached you will find a patch which addresses this issue. What it does is
pretty
self-explanatory so let me just go over some more general issues:

  - since Python under Windows supports threading but not forking, it should
now in
principle be possible to run the XML-RPC server under Windows, should one
be so
inclined;

  - if the server is launched in the foreground from a non-interactive
Python session
it will of course shut down the moment the session terminates, i.e. quite
likely
almost immediately. I have added a warning about this, it doesn't however
take into
account whether the -i option has been given to the interpreter (in which
case the
warning doesn't apply, as the server happily keeps on running until the
session is
terminated by hand) or not. Is there some way of telling whether this flag
has been
set other than parsing argv?

  - I left the daemon mode as default rather than selectable as suggested in
the
description of the issue, as in my opinion this is the mode which should be
used in
production running (especially once we've added management commands to the
server,
which will make it unnecessary to manipulate it by hand from the Python
command
line), plus changing this could break automated server-launcher scripts
during an
upgrade from earlier versions of Pygr (see the second remark).

Comments are welcome!

Attachments:
	pygrData-xmlrpcServer-threadedFG.patch  1.4 KB