[protocols] Eel-pond/annotation questions

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 29 09:18:34 PDT 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 6:02 AM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 06:34:01PM -0500, Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
>> Hi, Titus. I've been struggling with a de novo Trinity assembly for
>> quite a few months now, and this weekend discovered your blog and the
>> khmer protocols. I'm trying to apply them to my own process, and I have
>> a fair amount of computing power locally, so I'm not running on an AWS
>> server -- I'm hoping you're still willing to take a shot at some of my
>> questions!

>> * My system does not have formatdb for building the BLAST database, and
>> when I went to install formatdb, I discovered that it is deprecated in
>> favor of makeblastdb. However, apparently makeblastdb uses different
>> parameters so I can't use your protocol with it exactly. I'm game to go
>> try to figure out the change in parameter syntax between the two tools,
>> but I'm curious why your protocol uses a deprecated tool. Should I be
>> figuring out how to install formatdb instead of trying to make
>> makeblastdb work?
>
> The older BLAST is functionally equivalent to the later BLAST, and I'm
> pretty sure all of our code works for the older BLAST.  If and when we
> update we'll have to put some effort into validation.  So... short answer
> is that being conservative isn't always bad ;).

Just an aside, I think there is a simple script that comes with the last BLAST+ that will take older BLAST parameters and convert them for BLAST+.  No experience with it but it might be of some use.

Also, really cool to know there are others in Illinois working on really interesting projects using khmer!

>> Finally, thanks so much for all the work you've done to make RNA-seq a
>> little easier. It has been quite the frustrating process so far.
>
> Welcome -- and let us know how we can help!
>
>> https://www.impactstory.org/jphekman
>
> nice!
>
> cheers,
> --titus