[ngs-announce] FAQs; Alternatives to our NGS course

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Wed Feb 6 07:55:30 PST 2013

Hi folks,

I've been getting some questions as to who is eligible to attend our course: the answer is anyone and everyone, including international scientists and industry folk.

We are *not* planning on covering metagenomics or 16s/pyrotag analysis, which means you are unlikely to be accepted if that is all you are interested in.

In that vein, I wanted to point out two links:

first, the Strategies and Techniques for Analyzing Microbial Population Structures course at MBL, http://hermes.mbl.edu/education/courses/special_topics/stamps.html, *does* cover 16s and shotgun metagenomics (I am a co-instructor for that course, note).  It is a much larger course than the MSU NGS course.

second, we have a list of other courses here:

http://ged.msu.edu/angus/bioinformatics-courses.html

that I would suggest checking out.

best,
--titus