[ngs-2012] NGS alumni workshop dates: August 24-28, 2015

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat Oct 4 06:52:13 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I’m pleased to announce that we will be offering an alumni weekend, Aug 24-28, 2015, at Kellogg Biological Station; this will follow NGS 2015, which is the preceding two weeks. We probably won’t do much in the way of formal lectures or tutorials, but rather have it be a space for science discussions, computational help, and socialization.

This year, we had only a few alumni attendees (plus some of my lab) because I announced it so late.  However, there was a lot of interest and even though only 3-4 people came, it was great — it’s clear there’s a lot of value in an unstructured space to talk about data analysis and data integration.

I’ll plan to open registration at the same time as NGS 2015 - probably early May 2015.  The cost will be room+board+ ~$150 each.  If people need to know earlier (because of grants, or plane tickets) I’m happy to do “pre-admission”.

BTW, some of you may have already heard, but in case not: my lab will be moving to UC Davis in 2015 [1].  Despite that, the NGS course will continue at KBS in 2015 and 2016.  I do plan to run workshops at Davis (Bodega Bay? Tahoe?), and I hope to build a larger community that will include Bay Area folks, too; that will probably be announced by blog and not this list.

best,
—titus

[1] ivory.idyll.org/blog/2014-going-to-davis.html