[ngs-2012] The Information Dump E-mail

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu May 31 21:37:30 PDT 2012

Hi all,

here's lots more info on the NGS course.  Note, I'm updating the Google Docs page here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TPNYnIFMfFXVG1Y8jPldGkb1hKwGhdianOt_RTayaJE/edit

with all this information too.  Please e-mail me if there's something else you need to know!  And do fill out the arrival time form, below, if you need a lift.

---

Let's plan on meeting up at 1:30pm on Monday in the Carriage House classroom to get started -- I'm looking forward to it!  (Seriously!)

---

KBS Info:

The course classroom will be over in the Carriage House classroom, which is pretty close to the dorms.  Feel free to wander by; we'll probably be doing some setup on Monday around lunch time.

Weather is usually pretty nice, between 60 and 90 deg Faranheit (15 and 25 degrees Celsius?)  Think sandals and shorts weather mostly, with some cold days necessitating pants.  Dress as casually as you like.

We typically indulge in various kinds of exercise and entertainment, including but not limited to: swimming; volleyball; ultimate frisbee; soccer; and running.  Last year someone found a weight room, of sorts.

Towels and bedding are provided, you'll be happy to know.  Along with food :).

We will be reasonably close to stores that can provide pretty much anything you need, and we will have transportation to/from them.

---

TRAVEL:

Those of you arranging your own travel to KBS, you can arrive any time after ~2 or 3pm on Sunday, through Monday morning.  We can have lunch at the cafeteria on Monday.

If you need/want a pickup from either Lansing airport or the East Lansing Marriott (which is where the Michigan Flyer drops off), please go add the information here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArcOEBWnXSBidFJHNDVzZ09DcTNBaXA5SlJEWmdSY1E&pli=1#gid=0

and/or e-mail me.

If you are coming internationally and need a letter of invitation for the workshop to get past our crack Dept Homeland Security guardsmen, please let me know.

---

Other Stuff:

We're going to be using Google, Dropbox, and Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com) throughout.  If you already have accounts, or get a chance to sign up, please edit the following form:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArcOEBWnXSBidGY3bVg2a09rT2pheWhGRmdxc01uN2c#gid=0

If you are bringing data, great!  If you don't have it somewhere in the cloud (on an Amazon disk, or in Dropbox, or whatnot) then just bring it on a hard drive or a USB stick.

---

--titus