[metagenomics-jclub] Metagenome assembly workshop

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Mon Nov 28 21:13:21 PST 2011

Hi all,

Adina Howe and I would like to run a 1-day metagenome assembly workshop on Tuesday, Dec 13th, here at MSU.  This would be a hands-on workshop on assembling short Illumina reads from shotgun metagenome data into larger contigs, something that I know people are increasingly interested in at MSU and UM.  We'll cover assembly approaches (mostly consisting of caveats :), run through a number of examples with everyone, and have freeform discussions about approaches, drawbacks, and downstream analysis.

The workshop as planned is for people that already have some UNIX shell experience; we'll probably use Amazon EC2 for actually running things.  At MSU, anyone who has taken either my NGS summer course or my fall BEACON course, CSE 891, would be well prepared.  We'll provide sample data but of course people are welcome to bring their own. Please have interested students or postdocs drop me a note at ctb at msu.edu.  We can probably manage at least 10-12 people.

We'll even allow some UM people to come if they bring donuts...

cheers,
--titus

Dr. C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu
Asst Prof., Michigan State U.