[metagenomics-jclub] May 11th metagenomics J-club: Bait and Catch!

Fan yangfan1 at egr.msu.edu
Wed May 4 08:09:11 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I will be presenting the paper on Bait and Catch techniques for the next
metagenomics journal club (May 11th, 2011, next Wednesday). The abstract
is stated beneath and attached find the paper.

See you next week!

Cheers!

Fan
Targeting genomic loci by massively parallel sequencing requires new
methods to enrich templates to be sequenced. We
developed a capture method that uses biotinylated RNA ‘baits’ to fish
targets out of a ‘pond’ of DNA fragments. The RNA is
transcribed from PCR-amplified oligodeoxynucleotides originally
synthesized on a microarray, generating sufficient bait for
multiple captures at concentrations high enough to drive the
hybridization. We tested this method with 170-mer baits that target
415,000 coding exons (2.5 Mb) and four regions (1.7 Mb total) using
Illumina sequencing as read-out. About 90% of uniquely
aligning bases fell on or near bait sequence; up to 50% lay on exons
proper. The uniformity was such that B60% of target
bases in the exonic ‘catch’, and B80% in the regional catch, had at
least half the mean coverage. One lane of Illumina
sequence was sufficient to call high-confidence genotypes for 89% of the
targeted exon space.