[metagenomics-jclub] Reminder - Journal club tomorrow at 9:30am

Ederson Jesus ederson at msu.edu
Tue Nov 3 13:11:53 PST 2009

Hello everyone,

Since the paper that Tracy chose for discussion addresses the use of
unifrac for data analysis, I thought that the paper attached (Schloss,
2008) could be useful for the discussion. It recommends not to use the
unifrac distance for clustering and ordination, but I think that this
aspect should be further discussed. I like the idea of using unifrac
because I think that it is an elegant method and because it precludes
the use of cutoffs, but the phylogenies with 454 (at least with FLX
sequences) does not look good to me. If they do not display good
phylogenetic information, I wonder how good are the analysis results
when using these phylogenies for community analysis. I saw that the
Hamady and Knight (2009) addresses this topic too. Anyway, Rob
Knight's group has been obtaining very good results with unifrac and I
just would like to add just one piece of information about the
subject. Maybe you can bring some interesting ideas. Unfortunately, I
will not be present, since I will be in Pittsburgh until Thursday. So
I will look forward to learn about what you discussed when I am back.

See you in the next round.

Cheers,

Ederson