[khmer] khmer install on RHE6 - will it work under Python 2.6?

Timothy Driscoll bioinformatics451 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:52:40 PST 2014

thanks Michael. I'll give it a go under 2.6.

just curious: any idea why it wasn't using the virtualenv? I'm pretty sure I ran pip install from within one (see below). (I understand if this list is not the best venue for this question; I'm just curious to know what I messed up.)

[17-Mon 16:17:50] tpdriscoll at firefly:~
$ source venv/bin/activate

[17-Mon 16:18:28](venv) tpdriscoll at firefly:~
$ pip2 install khmer

Downloading/unpacking khmer
  Downloading khmer-1.1.tar.gz (3.6MB): 3.6MB downloaded
  Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_tpdriscoll/khmer/setup.py) egg_info for package khmer
    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'third-party/zlib/Makefile'
    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'third-party/zlib/zconf.h'
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.orig' found anywhere in distribution
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found anywhere in distribution
Downloading/unpacking screed>=0.7.1 (from khmer)
  Downloading screed-0.7.1.tar.gz
  Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_tpdriscoll/screed/setup.py) egg_info for package screed
Downloading/unpacking argparse>=1.2.1 (from khmer)
  Downloading argparse-1.2.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: khmer, screed, argparse
  Running setup.py install for khmer
    got version from file /tmp/pip_build_tpdriscoll/khmer/khmer/_version.py {'version': '1.1', 'full': '1fe98c92b5a9b3f46a5f4f05cd35d3229ce2ff0a'}
    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'third-party/zlib/Makefile'
    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'third-party/zlib/zconf.h'
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.orig' found anywhere in distribution
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found anywhere in distribution
    bash -c cd third-party/zlib && ( test Makefile -nt configure || bash ./configure --static ) && make -f Makefile.pic PIC

timothy driscoll, phd
twitter @MobileElement
skype   bioinformatics451

natural sciences 333