[khmer] Guiding principles for khmer?

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat Nov 15 13:50:44 PST 2014

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 04:46:50PM -0500, Matthew MacManes wrote:
> Titus,??
>
> So much of your ethos is centered on ???Open Science???. It would be nice to see this featured in the ???khmer is" mission statement. E.g. Khmer is: an open source platform for.. ??In my mind, this is more than a goal, instead this is a core value that underpins the entire project.??

Hah, interesting, so:

khmer is *an open source project* that serves as:

* a stable research platform for novel CS/bio research on data structures and algorithms, mostly k-mer based;
* a test bed for software engineering practice in science;
* a Python library for working with k-mers and graph structures;
* an exercise in community building in scientific software engineering;
* an exercise in ecosystem participation in scientific software engineering;

---

It's kind of funny that you had to point that out.  I don't even think about
it any more... it's just how the world should work ;)

thanks,