[khmer] kmer counting stops at 248

Alon philosof philosof at tx.technion.ac.il
Sun Jul 27 03:32:43 PDT 2014

Hello,
i’ve came across a strange behaviour:
I’ve installed Khmer 1.1 on a server running torque, since I don’t have root privileges I’ve downloaded the source and installed by: python setup.py install —user.
things seems to be working OK and I have attempted to count kmers and calculate histogram on a ~10gb metagenome file with:

.local/bin/load-into-counting.py --ksize 21 --threads 8 --min-tablesize 250e9 --n_tables 4 out.kh in.fastq

.local/bin/abundance-dist.py out.kh in.fastq out.hist

the resulting histogram shows counts up to only 248. I am running this with enough memory allocated and load-into-counting runs to completion without raising errors.
in addition, I’d like to note that it runs on a single machine and not on multiple nodes.

however, when I run load-into-counting (--min-tablesize 64e8 --n_tables 4) on my local Ubuntu machine (32gb of ram)  running the same khmer 1.1 build  It runs to completion and calculates all kmers in the file.

when I abundance-dist.py on a .kh file from the server it again show counts to 248 only.

have you came across this behaviour before? any ideas how to solve that?
thanks,
Alon