[khmer] khmer on 454 metagenomics data

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 10 08:21:48 PDT 2014

Nature of the data?  454 has known homopolymer issues, I could see that introducing a decent amount of noise.

Just curious, but any reason you want to use this approach?  We had a very similar data set (454 metagenome, but a low diversity one, about 200K reads) and simply ran Newbler, it took a few minutes and didn’t require a ton of memory.  Mem-wise I think we were under 4G, but I can check if you want to know.  It’s possible you would need more mem/time based on the diversity of your sample and the # of reads, but you would have an assembly in a shorter amount of time than running khmer.

chris