[khmer] orientation of SE reads

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Tue Oct 1 20:06:24 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:01:42AM +0800, bioques wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response!
> Unfortunately, I do deal with strand-specific dataset right now. So in this case, I suppose I need to RC the s2_se reads? Would you please tell me what other reasons bother you that this protocol would not work for strand-specific dataset?

Hi Nate,

then you need to present the reads to Trinity in whatever orientation it
requires -- I don't have any experience with this, except with their demo
data set.

The reason why I worry about the protocol more generally is that none of
the QC procedures or abundance-filtering or digital normalization code
were built for single-stranded.  This is one reason why Trinity has built
their own in silico normalization procedure.  I'm unsure of what the effect
would be.  Note that none of the code will *mess up* the orientation of
the reads, though; it just might have unpredictable effects (I would bet
that the filtering would be too stringent, is all).

We will add a caveat at the top of the protocols.

cheers,
--titus

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu