[ged] a paper for the journal club next week

Likit Preeyanon preeyano at msu.edu
Wed Feb 13 20:46:59 PST 2013

Hi, guys

The paper is not new but it discusses a program that I'm currently using to identify alternative splicing in my RNA-Seq study.

Analysis and design of RNA sequencing experiments for identifying isoform regulation.

Abstract

Through alternative splicing, most human genes express multiple isoforms that often differ in function. To infer isoform regulation from high-throughput sequencing of cDNA fragments (RNA-seq), we developed the mixture-of-isoforms (MISO) model, a statistical model that estimates expression of alternatively spliced exons and isoforms and assesses confidence in these estimates. Incorporation of mRNA fragment length distribution in paired-end RNA-seq greatly improved estimation of alternative-splicing levels. MISO also detects differentially regulated exons or isoforms. Application of MISO implicated the RNA splicing factor hnRNP H1 in the regulation of alternative cleavage and polyadenylation, a role that was supported by UV cross-linking-immunoprecipitation sequencing (CLIP-seq) analysis in human cells. Our results provide a probabilistic framework for RNA-seq analysis, give functional insights into pre-mRNA processing and yield guidelines for the optimal design of RNA-seq experiments for studies of gene and isoform expression.

Nature Publishing Group, 7(12), 1009–1015. doi:10.1038/nmeth.1528
Katz, Y., Wang, E. T., Airoldi, E. M., & Burge, C. B. (2010).

See you on Monday!