[ged] Journal Club next week

Jason Pell jason.pell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:03:09 PST 2012

Hi everyone,

Next week, I will present the paper "Untangling Genomes from
Metagenomes: Revealing an Uncultured Class of Marine Euryarchaeota" on
Tuesday, 2/14 @ 11am in BPS 2215F (conference room in the MMG office).
See you then!

Ecosystems are shaped by complex communities of mostly unculturable
microbes. Metagenomes provide a fragmented view of such communities,
but the ecosystem functions of major groups of organisms remain
mysterious. To better characterize members of these communities, we
developed methods to reconstruct genomes directly from mate-paired
short-read metagenomes. We closed a genome representing the as-yet
uncultured marine group II Euryarchaeota, assembled de novo from 1.7%
of a metagenome sequenced from surface seawater. The genome describes
a motile, photo-heterotrophic cell focused on degradation of protein
and lipids and clarifies the origin of proteorhodopsin. It also
demonstrates that high-coverage mate-paired sequence can overcome
assembly difficulties caused by interstrain variation in complex
microbial communities, enabling inference of ecosystem functions for
uncultured members.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/335/6068/587.full