[ged] paper for next week

guojiaro at gmail.com guojiaro at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 08:17:56 PST 2011

Metagenomic Discovery of Biomass-Degrading Genes and Genomes from Cow Rumen

The paucity of enzymes that efficiently deconstruct plant polysaccharides
represents a major bottleneck for industrial-scale conversion of cellulosic
biomass into biofuels. Cow rumen microbes specialize in degradation of
cellulosic plant material, but most members of this complex community
resist cultivation. To characterize biomass-degrading genes and genomes, we
sequenced and analyzed 268 gigabases of metagenomic DNA from microbes
adherent to plant fiber incubated in cow rumen. From these data, we
identified 27,755 putative carbohydrate-active genes and expressed 90
candidate proteins, of which 57% were enzymatically active against
cellulosic substrates. We also assembled 15 uncultured microbial genomes,
which were validated by complementary methods including single-cell genome
sequencing. These data sets provide a substantially expanded catalog of
genes and genomes participating in the deconstruction of cellulosic biomass.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6016/463.short